A lathe is a vital tool for creating all sorts of useful wooden products. People always think it is difficult to choose the right one. But it’s not like that.
When selecting a lathe, it will help you if you consider its abilities in your decision-making process. This will allow you to compare power and speed settings, ease of use, the design, the types of wood you can work with, and more.
Reading through an article like, how to choose wood lathe, it will allow you to work at a faster pace, or create textured projects, for the wood design pieces you are working on.
Different lathes are also going to allow you to shape a piece of wood how you want, or create a specific design when working on a project.
So, taking the time to find the right product, and comparing a few different lathes, is the easiest way to ensure you buy the right product, and eventually find the one that will allow you to finish any project in no time at all. Today we are going to design this article for both users the hobbyist and the professional can find the best wood lathe for them.
Comparison Chart of Lathes
|Brand||Motor ||Speed Range||Price |
|2 Amp||750 to 3200 RPM|
|NOVA 46300 |
|3/4HP||250 to 4000 RPM|
For the Money
|1/2HP Motor||below 1000 RPM|
|1 HP max||1,725 RPM|
|Shop Fox W1758|
|2 HP, 110V||600 - 2400 RPM|
|1/2"|| 500 - 3975 RPM|
Best Wood Lathe For Beginners
NOVA 46300 Comet II
The speed rating goes from 250 to 4000 rpm; which gives you far more control and allows you to work on far more projects.
Since you have control over how quickly or slowly to work, you do not have to worry about making an error when making your project. It is a little more affordable, yet has the many features of the other more expensive lathe on the market.
Its 3 step pulley system dial, has a low, medium, and high-speed range. This gives you full control and makes for a simple adjustment if you must increase or decrease the speed rating while working on a specific project with it. If you are a beginner in the field of woodworking. The Nova 46300 is one of the top rated lathes on the market.
The 3/4 HP motor has variable speed setting options as well, which allows you to change the speed, during a project so you can increase or decrease work speeds while working with different materials.
It is more versatile, as it is smaller than most lathes, and gives you the option to add an extension, so you can work on big or small projects with this tool. This might be the best wood lathe reviews for you.
RIKON Wood Lathe – 70-100 12-by-16-Inch
It has an easy access speed change design which is ideal if you are working in a quick paced environment. There is no need to worry that you won’t be able to adjust the speed, or that you will have to slow down while working on a specific project.
Its self-ejecting tailstock is easy to remove, and there is no need to use the knockout from the center of the tool, thus making work easier, and requiring fewer steps to reach the desired position when working with this tool. This is the top wood lathe for the money.
The laser engraved ram, 1/2 HP motor, and the extension are just a few of the features you are going to appreciate. If you are working on a larger job, or if you would like to transport this to different job sites, the extension allows you to do that.
And, the fact that a mini lathe makes it a bit lighter in weight, so it is not as hard to transport when you are working on multiple lathe projects at a time.
Delta Industrial 46-460 12-1/2-Inch Variable-Speed Midi Lathe
The Delta Industrial midi lathe is another choice for beginners. Here’s a look at its specifications, pros, and cons:
- This is designed to efficiently work at a maximum speed of 4000 rpm and a minimum speed as low as 250 rpm.
- It offers a reverse feature through which the different stages like polishing and sanding can be done efficiently.
- Every time the belts are changed, the lever helps you get back to the perfect settings in no time.
It’s efficient, not too heavy in weight, and hence you can carry the same easily from one place to the other.
- It comes with a 1 HP motor, which allows you to complete the woodworking on large pieces of wood, more efficiently and effortlessly.
- You get to expand the functions, as this is versatile and offers great value for the money. It is the good lathe on the market.
- You get the reverse feature with this, hence it makes the operation more dependable.
- It comes with 3 pulley speed ranges.
- You get a solid product that’s crafted using a cast iron material, and hence it is highly durable.
- The 1 HP powerful motor makes it capable of running on the projects of different dimensions.
- You’ll need to use extensions if you want to perform the turning task on really large projects.
Excelsior Mini Wood Lathe
The Excelsior Mini Lathe is another choice for beginners. Here’s a look at its specifications, pros and cons:
- It is built using a 1 HP motor, which provides excellent performance in minimum time.
- It is designed using cast iron materials, and the live center on tailstock and spur center on the headstock are placed properly.
- You get to use the special ball bearing feature with the knockout bar for the spur center.
- 5-speed options include; 760, 1100, 1600, 2200, and 3200 RPM Belt, which comes with a 6-inch tool rest and a 3-inch faceplate, which provides a long lasting tool performance.
- The ratcheting adjustment levers are made available to add more convenience to the overall procedure.
- The exclusive chrome-plated hardware safety switch, plus the cam-locking safety feature is enabled to make the wood lathe work more efficiently.
- Rockler Excelsior is a great option for wood turning, and that is how it is explained by satisfied users.
- It is made of the sturdy material which provides you long lasting service.
- You get value for your money, as the price is worth the convenience you derive while using it.
You get it in combination with the accessories that will make the use of wood lathe more comfortable and efficient.
- After getting enough research on this product, I have listed this one on my top mini lathe list
- It is heavy, and hence you will have to tolerate the resulting effects when you use it.
- The instruction manual that comes with the product does not contain enough information to let you use the product effortlessly.
Jet JWL-1015 Wood Working Lathe
- This is made using a cast iron lathe bed which provides utmost stability and is extremely durable. It works while creating minimum vibrations during the process and hence more precise cutting is made possible.
- The high build quality provides years of long service, without demanding any kind of maintenance.
- Hollow boring through the headstock and hollow tailstock makes turning more convenient.
- The cam lock lies on the tailstock and tool rest.
- The 6 spindles in it which allows the operator to switch the speed between 400-3300 rpms.
- For the purpose of fluting and veining, the spindle is indexed at every 15 degrees.
- It is designed to be operated on a variety of objects that might include drawers, cupboard knobs, bottle stopped, pens, boxes, platters, etc.
- The 375 W induction motor with a 6 belt speed, provides enhanced power to the machinery to perform précision turning.
- The access to convenient doors makes it easy for the operator to switch between different speed options.
- The 24 incorporated indexing options make veining and fluting easy to cut.
- It is the lathe under 500 and it is a classic lathe for everyone. While searching for the woodturning lathe, this one makes me happy because it fulfills all conditions of becoming top.
- It doesn’t come with a chuck, and hence you will have to buy it separately.
- You won’t be able to use a reverse speed feature with this product.
SAVANNAH 8-Piece HSS Chisel Set
- These MP steel blades are designed at 5 ¼ inches in size and can perform high-speed operations with utmost perfection.
- This set of wood lathe chisels includes 8 essential chisels which are enough to provide a variety of functions.
- The variety includes; 5/8 inches spear scraper, 3/16 inches parting tool, 1-inch skew chisel, 5/8 inches round nose scraper, 1/2 inches bowl gauge, ¾ inches spindle gouge, 7/8 inches roughing gouge and 5/8 inches skew chisel.
- These lathe chisels are designed including a stylishly handy 10 ¾ inches hardwood handles, that allows you to establish a more firmer grip.
- The set comes in a beautiful wooden case which looks really trendy.
- It is meant to be used by the tuners of all levels. It is useful and very easy to operate.
- You can perform precise wood turning tasks using this tool, as it has the capability to perform wonders with wood.
- The attractive wooden display looks trendy even when stored.
- No such disadvantages of complaints have been observed by the users.
Benchtop Wood Lathe 8in x 12in
- This benchtop lathe machine is equipped with a 1/3 HP motor, which successfully performs woodturning operations on small projects.
- It could be operated on different speed options, which vary amid the range of 750-3200 RPM. This allows the operator to have dedicated control over operations.
- It comes with #1 tailstock and Morse taper head.
- It is equipped with 2 inches and 6 inches faceplates.
- 4 inches and 7 inches tool rest are also accompanied with it.
- It is tagged as a favorable tool for precise wood turning tasks.
- Cast iron material used in constructed adds more durability and reliability to the product.
- 1/3 HP motor, makes the machine apt for precise woodturning tasks.
- Large products cannot be handled with perfection, as the motor isn’t that powerful.
Overall, we think that The quality is tremendous and available on the market right now.
PSI Woodworking LCHSS8 HSS Lathe Chisel Set, 8-Piece
- This is the most preferable wood turning kit used for precise operations including small pens, bowls, and spindles. Additionally, it handles the large projects with utmost perfection.
- The M2 super high-speed steel used to design the 5-1/4 inches of blades are made with a carbon steel material, as a result, you get too many years of undisturbed use.
- This woodturning package includes 8 essential chisels, as follows:
3/16 inch parting tool,
1-inch skew chisel,
5/8 inch spear scraper,
5/8 inch round scraper,
5/8 inch skew chisel
¾ inch spindle gauge
½ inch bowl gauge
7/8 inch roughing gauge
- It is delivered to you in a stylishly designed box, where for each tool, 10 ¾ inches hardwood handles are made that allow the operator the use the tool with a firm grip and better convenience.
- This chisel includes a variety which allows you to cover all your diversified turning needs. You will no longer have to take the help of any other turning tools; it suits both precise and large turning projects.
- This chisel set is very easy to handle, you can conveniently hold the tools and carry on the operations without stressing your hands.
- You get complete value for your money and this is another lathe chisel for your needs.
- All the tools kept together may sometimes confuse you, especially if you aren’t an expert at woodturning.
Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe With Cast Iron Legs And Digital Readout
This is one of the outstanding wood lathes under 1000, featuring a 2 HP motor, which is more powerful than other models.
It also has a 110 volt, single phase design, and the heavy duty, the cast iron material base makes it a rugged piece of equipment. It also ensures minimal vibration when you set the lathe to a higher speed setting.
There are ten adjustment speed settings, with a simple lever design, making it easy to regulate the speed and the rate at which you are going to complete the project. It also has a range of 600 up to 2400 rpm, meaning you can work at the desired pace, so you can get the perfect angles, or attain the smoothest surfaces, even if you are working with a rugged material at the start. I discovered it as a lathe for professional.
A quick tool release lever for the head and tail stock, features a 0, a 60, and a 90-degree setting. The swivel head for outboard turning also makes it quite simple to adjust the angles that you are working from, and the angles of rotation needed when you are creating a specific design with the wood projects you are working on.
Grizzly Wood Lathe – G0694
The heavy-duty cast iron finish makes it very easy to turn plates, and turning bowls; this along with the 10 in the spindle allows you to work at a faster rate when working on different pieces or designs.
If you are looking for the right wood lathe for turning bowls, this is right one I listed for you.
An optional bed extension allows you to create a full-sized lathe, if you are working on a specific job site, and need to work with large pieces of wood, and materials when designing or resurfacing any surface.
The 1/2 HP motor is fast enough to work through even the roughest surfaces, and there are six-speed settings to choose from. This makes it quite simple to work on any project, with any wood piece, and with any sized material, and get through it in no time.
Read More Review Here.
A 3 in the faceplate is also large enough to work on most major or small projects. And, at just under 100 pounds, this mini lathe is quite easy to transport. That gives you more versatility if you would like to take it to different sites.
And, with the ability to make it a full-sized lathe with the extension, you don’t have to compromise on the types of project or jobs you can do when using this lathe.
JET Wood Lathe with Legs – 708358K
This jet lathe with legs provides users the variable speed settings from 450 up to 3000 rpm, making it quite simple to work on any project and with any wood surface you are creating or surfacing.
A 14 in swing and 42 in turning capacity also gives you optimal control when working on a job site. This product passed the factors of the right wood lathe. So don’t be panic if you choose to buy this one for you.
The bed and the lathe legs are made out of solid cast iron, which also makes this a solid and sturdy lathe, and the piece also includes the tool rest, spur center, knockout bar, live center, indexing locks, and a spindle.
A 1 HP motor is also more powerful than others, and the variable speed settings give you more options to choose from, to create the perfect structure or surface when working on any project.
The headstock also swivels a full 360 degrees, which allows you to have full control when doing work. Plus you can maneuver in any direction so that you are comfortable when working with the lathe.
A cutting capacity height of 6 it is also a little larger than other tools, which gives you more precision when working with something that is a bit smaller in size, or working with more than one piece of wood at a time.
The Jet is the most desirable wood lathe in this series. Not only does it allow the extension feature, so you can work on bigger or smaller projects, it also has the most range in rpm, so you can work on nearly any project with it.
It also is lighter in weight and has the ability to change variable speed settings, with a simple adjustment or turn of the knob.
There are many knobs on this device, which also makes changing different features, quite easy to do, and reduces the number of starts and stops you have to make when you are on a strict time constraint while working on any project.
Because there are many different products you can choose from, it is important to use a wood lathe to help you find the proper product for personal and business uses. And, since the price ranges are going to offer different features, every consumer will find there is more than one product that is available for them to choose, for the types of projects they work on.
Although the perfect wood lathe may vary for each consumer, based on the work they do and projects they are working on, these are a few of the top-rated models to consider, when you are trying to decide on the right one for use on a job, or at home.
Powermatic 1352001 – Wood Lathe under 5000
Hey man. This product is gold in the history of the wood lathe. Although it is expensive. It’s worth your money if you have enough ability to purchase powerful, quality and this giant beast. I said to you go and grab this beast. And this is definitely the best beginner metal lathe to buy.
- It comes with a digital readout option that allows the operator to be more active during operations.
- It is designed with 20-inch swing and includes 34 ½ inches space between the center.
- This metal lathe machine is constructed using cast iron material that provides utmost durability and stability.
The accessories included with the product are tool rest, knockout rod, spindle lock, wrench, and guard, for adding more value and convenience to the product.
- It measures 50 x 24 x 44 inches in size.
- The 2 HP motor gives high power to the machinery, which enhances its capability to handle different operations of a variety of sizes.
- The machine can be operated at variable speed options, allowing you to exercise control as per your convenience.
- Reliable and powerful motor allows long working hours that make it a perfect option for handling large size projects.
- One time buy, and you will get to use it for multiple projects and for years to come.
- It is heavy in weight, and hence too difficult to be carried from one place to another.
- Turning off the machine might be a little tricky, so better turn it to speed 0, and be patient.
What is a Wood Lathe?
A lathe is an electronic tool that is meant to produce different shapes and a help users to create a completely new makeover to a piece of wood by performing different functions that include cutting, knurling, deformation, drilling, turning, facing, sanding, etc.
Designer wooden furniture and other masterpieces created from wood have already captured the market widely. A plain jagged wooden log is processed and sculpted into different shapes and designs which are meant to fulfill different furniture purposes, and also make the home interior look classy with the decorative items designed.
It is basically meant for industrial purposes, because the machine is really complicated and dangerous to work on, and thus the operator needs to be a professional to carry on the operations accurately.
Different lathe machines are available in different sizes and depending on the features and functions the size of the machine may vary. Some are meant to suit expert operations, while others are meant to be operated by beginners. Depending on the purpose for which you are buying the machine, you should choose the level of the device accordingly.
A lathe works to generate classic designs in the least possible time while asking for minimal efforts to be put in by the operator. We discussed above the list of wood lathe reviews for you. I hope this guide helps you a lot.
The woodworking lathe has the capacity to work wonders for your industry, and thus below we will discuss the numerous features that demand your attention, So you can choose the most suitable wood lathe for your needs.
Buyer’s Safety Guide
Safety needs to come first with any project, and this is especially true when working with a lathe. Whenever working with a lathe, you must remember to observe good shop safety habits. Please make sure to read and understand all instructions before using any of these lathes.
Firstly, secure the lathe to a sturdy surface before putting it into use, or make sure it is installed securely to a base before conducting any turning operation.
When operating a lathe, avoid wearing jewelry (including rings and watches) and long-sleeved shirts, as these items could become caught in the rotating mechanism. Wear eye protection at all times when working around any lathe or other woodworking tools.
Though safety glasses and safety goggles are good for providing eye protection, safety shields are best to provide full face protection and to protect the user from flying wood chips and particles.
Some of the exotic types of wood that undergo turning operations can stir up the particulate matter and produce dust that is harmful to inhale and can cause respiratory problems. While working around environments that produce a lot of dust and other particulate matter that can be harmful to breathe, be sure to wear NIOSH approved respiratory protection.
Observing these simple safety precautions will help keep the work area safe and permit the opportunity to turn out other various items on the lathe.
Not only does the best wood lathes allow you to work quickly and seamlessly, but it is also going to do a majority of the work for you. This means it will take less time to work on a harsh surface, it will be easier to create the desired shape, and it will allow you to work at different power and speed settings so you can complete any woodworking project in no time.