Having the best wood carving tools set can be the difference between an exceptional sculpture and an ordinary one. The finer details in a carving are really what matters in a carved piece. Look at it this way; if you were to choose between a statuette with small detailed flower patterns and one with one large imprint of a flower, you would definitely want the former – isn’t it?
A chisel set has its work cut out in sculpture making. It does all the donkey work removing the large unwanted parts to create an outline where the detailed tools will do their thing.
VonHaus is a brand that has its head above the others in chisel making. This chisel set is just all the proof you need to confirm the claim. At first glance, the chisels strike you as a product made by a company serious about quality. There are six chisels or varying sizes – appropriate for woodworking.
The blades are chrome vanadium steel alloy – heat treated for durability and ruggedness. You know how much abuse chisels experience and it would be such a shame if they were to break at the middle of some intricate hammering with a mallet.
Another standout feature is the appealing and ergonomically designed handles. They are comfortable on the grip and rugged enough for repeated hammering.
- Six chisels of different sizes for various woodworking activities. All the chisel pieces you would need in your woodworking workshop are there.
- The chrome vanadium steel alloy blades are strong enough for the hard chiseling activities. They are pretty reliable as they hold up to hard head knocks to penetrate various types of woods.
- The handles of each chisel piece are ergonomically designed for smooth and comfortable grip. Nobody wants a tool that is uncomfortable to hold especially when dealing with such robust activities as chiseling. A convenient handle – these are long and rubberized – prevents blisters and other hand injuries.
- Comes with a sturdy storage case where you organize all your chisels and where they are protected from the elements especially moisture. The case also makes transportation from one place to the other pretty straightforward – you know the job is not always restricted to the workshop or the garage.
- The storage case is blow-molded plastic for durability. This means it will serve you for a long time providing sufficient protection to the tools.
- These are versatile tools that you can use for your DIYs or professionally.
- The set comes with a sharpening stone made from aluminum oxide. You can keep the tools sharp before every carving task making you efficient.
- The side angles are pretty narrow for efficiency in sharpening and flattening. Wider ones are harder to sharpen and work with.
- It is an excellent product for those that are too cost conscious.
These tools are well-designed and constructed. They withstand the repeated hammering as you work on a piece. Well, the point is, if they were brittle, they would also be unsafe in every sense. You cannot imagine a chisel breaking on your hands; it would be a risk hazard.
A comfortable and easy to grip handle is always ideal and keeps you from injuries. For tools like chisels, a handle should be tight and stable. All the mallet hammering should do very little on it.
Safety basics when using cutting tools is to keep them sharp at all times. The sharper the tool, the less the effort you will exert and safer you will be. Make regular use of the sharpening stone included in the toolset.
Resist the urge to use the chisels on a wood lathe as doing so is a risk hazard. If you need a tool to use with the lathe, the handle should be longer.
There are a number of ways to tell if a product is a quality or not. Rave reviews tell you pretty much regarding product quality, and this chisel set has many people talking about it – many are satisfied with it. The only shortcoming is the quality of metal – not the best.
You need to sharpen the tool before even using it the first time. To achieve efficiency, keep sharpening ideally, before every job.
Hello! I’m Mike Maclennan and I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I work in the construction and home remodeling industry. Having used many tools over the years, I’ve decided to start this website and share my personal tools review. Thanks for reading my articles and I hope you’ll find the best tool for your needs.